- This event has passed.
Gluten-Free Baking: Flour Blends
Saturday October 23 2021 at 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Katarina Cermelj returns to teach us how to succeed with gluten-free baking! Join us for three classes, all on Saturdays at 11:00 am: 10/23/21, 11/13/21, and 12/11/21. We’re giving away a copy of Kat’s cookbook, Baked to Perfection, at each program.
Today’s class will focus on gluten-free flour blends, and will cover topics such as:
- The different gluten-free flours, their properties (especially their higher water absorption capacity compared to regular wheat flour) and groupings into starchy, protein and ‘additional’ flours.
- The theory behind mixing your own gluten-free flour blend and how to test whether it actually works.
- Katarina’s go-to gluten-free flour blend recipe, which successfully mimics simple commercial blends.
- The different densities of gluten-free flour blends and the importance of using a digital food scale in gluten free baking.
- How to substitute one gluten-free flour for another: which substitutions do and don’t work.
- The role of binders: xanthan gum and psyllium husk.
Katarina Cermelj is undertaking a PhD in Inorganic Chemistry from Oxford. After cutting out gluten from her diet, she used her scientific background to experiment with gluten-free baking, and in 2016 set up her hugely popular baking blog, The Loopy Whisk, sharing her sumptuous allergy-friendly recipes. Baked to Perfection is her first cookbook. Baked to Perfection begins with a thorough look at the gluten-free baking basics: how different gluten-free flours behave, which store-bought blends work best, and how to mix your own to suit your needs. Covering cakes, brownies, cookies, pastry and bread in turn, Katarina shares the best techniques for the recipes in that chapter, and each recipe is accompanied by expert tips, useful scientific explanations and occasional step-by-step photography to help you achieve gluten-free perfection. Learn more at https://theloopywhisk.com/
Classes are free to attend. Please register for each event separately. Recipes and Zoom links will be sent out before the event.
Monday December 12 at 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Tuesday December 13 at 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm