Avon Free Public Library traces its roots back to September 1791 when Rev. Rufus Hawley rode to New Haven to purchase books for a public library, open to subscribers from around Northington, as Avon was then known. A portion of that original collection of books is housed in the Marian Hunter Local History Room here at the library. Read more about the history of Avon Library in the September issue of Today Magazine or on the local history section of this website. Happy Anniversary!