The Marian Hunter History Room is dedicated to Marian M. Hunter, long-time librarian and historian of Avon. The collection was formed when the Library and the Avon Historical Society combined their archives and dedicated the room on February 4, 1989. Researchers and interested residents may find information on the general history of the town, original old homes and buildings in Avon, and genealogies of original families.
Read about the history of Avon Free Public Library.
Access Avon’s history online
Portions of the History Room collection is available online as part of the Connecticut Digital Archive.
An additional digital collection of images from the History Room is available at history.avonctlibrary.info
Some Finding Aids for this collection are available here.
Connect with the Avon Historical Society here.
Visiting the History Room
The History Room is staffed by volunteers and reference staff, when available, and is open a limited number of hours. Please contact the library before visiting, to ensure materials will be accessible when you arrive! You will be asked to complete a researcher request form when you arrive.
For hours and information:
Treasures within the History Room
- Local History of Avon and neighboring towns
- Book Collection of Northington Library
- Genealogy of selected Avon families
- Genealogical reference materials
- Avon High School Yearbooks, 1961+
- Connecticut Nutmegger, v. 32, no. 1 to present
- Avon Town Reports, 1877 to present
- Lure of the Litchfield Hills, Dec. 1940-Winter 1975 (issues are currently being digitized)
- City Directories, 1913, 1918, 1928, 1932, 1964+
- American Canals, May. 2002 to present
- Archives of Avon Free Public Library and earlier libraries
- Rev. Rufus Hawley Family: diaries, letters & genealogical notes
- Hawley Family Letters, 1798-1828
- Diaries of Frank Hadsell, 1859-1942
- Selected letters of Mabel Bishop, 1907-1925
- Avon Newsletter (WWII) January 1944-December 1945
- The map cabinet inventory is available here.
Photographs & Visual Materials
- The Clinton Hadsell Collection, 1899-1914
- The Frank Hadsell Collection
- Gravestone photos & index for cemeteries: Cider Brook, East Avon, West Avon
- Photograph Collections of Case Family, Hawley Family & Robert Holmes Family ( not inventoried)
- Photograph album of Hillandale-William House, 1926.
- Vintage photographs arranged alphabetically
- Postcard collections of Bishop Family, circa 1907-1925
- U.S. Census Records, Avon reels, 1790-1930
- Avon News, 1986-1996