Watch a presentation by Gena Hamilton of Exact Digital Media talk about digital advertising for your business. This online class was co-sponsored by the Avon Chamber of Commerce and Avon Free Public Library.
Digital Media can help you grow your business. And Google My Business is one way you can drive local consumer traffic to your business. But if you don’t understand it or don’t know where to begin, you can miss this easy and accessible opportunity. In this class we will discuss:
How to Reach Your Customers Where They Are
Leveraging Google My Business to Help You Get Found by Your Customers
Google My Business Best Practices
Stream the recording of Gena’s presentation here.
Hoonuit offers on-the-spot training. With over 50,000 two-to-three-minute software and technology training videos on Microsoft, Adobe, Apple and Google products plus all kinds of other career and technical topics, Hoonuit helps you learn what you need to know when you need to know it. See the software products and other topics Hoonuit covers here.
Universal Class has over 500 online, self-paced continuing education classes in subjects like business, computer training, crafts, health, nutrition, writing and more. Whether you are starting a business, just bought a new camera, or are studying for the US Citizenship test, Universal Class has a class for you. See the course list for Universal Class here.
An Avon Library barcode is required to register for Hoonuit and Universal Class. Find these, and all our other online learning resources, on the Learn Online page of our website. For help with these or any of our online resources, please email or call the Reference Desk at 860-673-9712 x203.
When you return your library books you can now also drop off small electronics like cellphones and iPods, along with empty inkjet printer cartridges, for proper recycling. The library’s e-cycling bins are located at the end of the Gallery hallway, near the Community Room and right next to the Friends of the Library’s book donation closet and the VFW’s flag disposal bin.
While the library only accepts small electronics, Avon residents can recycle many other things free of charge at the Avon Transfer Station. Visit their website at www.avonct.gov/
An awesome new tech project each month!
There are two sessions to sign up for:
Session 1: IGNITE club. Girls, grades 7-12. Do this month’s project yourself, then stick around and help other teens learn how to do it in Session 2!
Session 2: Open to boys and girls, grades 5-12. Do this month’s project!!
Take a tour of what’s new and where things are on the new website.
This site is built for phones and tablets too! It is mobile-friendly and will resize to the size of your screen.
You can search the website OR search Encore, the library catalog, all in one place from any page on the website.
It’s as easy as 1 — 2 — 3.
Full size screen view (at the top of the screen)
Mobile view (in the Menu)
- Type what you are looking for in the Search box
- Click on the button for where you want to search (This Site or Our Catalog)
- Click on the search icon to go
Quick access to the things you need most:
- Search the catalog
- See featured events and library news
- Want to see more library news? Go to Library News (located in the footer at the bottom of every page)
- Connect with the Friends of Avon Library
- Access Streaming & Downloadable collections with your Avon library card
- Browse new books in New & Notable with a Netflix-style carousel
- Want to browse more new titles? Go to Books & Media to see new movies, audiobooks, and more.
- Support the library
- Keep in touch! Sign up for library emails
Books & Media
- Get recommendations on what to read– we’ll add staff picks or news about our collections here.
- Browse new titles by category with a Netflix-style display
Find out what the library has to offer, including:
- Getting a library card
- Reserving a meeting room
- Borrowing a museum pass
- Ask a librarian
- Using library computers and technology
- Browse through upcoming events. Click on an event to find out the full information.
- Blue = Adult Programs
- Pink = Children’s Programs
- Green = Teen Programs
- Search for events by Date or Keyword: put in your search terms and click “FIND EVENTS”
- Change your view by clicking on “VIEW AS”
- Week (Events for the week. Move your cursor over an event to get a quick summary)
- List (All upcoming events, starting with the next event about to begin)
- Month (This may take some time to load… We host a lot of events every month!)
- Day (Just today’s events, or whichever date you limit to)
- Photo (Browse events by photo and description)
- Narrow your results to a particular Event Category, Tag, Day of the week, Time of day, Venue location, or Organizer who planned the event
For Children and For Teens
Looking for something age appropriate?
- The latest library news
- Homework resources and helpful links
- Upcoming events
- Contact info for your librarians
The Research page lists all of our library’s research databases as well as recommended websites alphabetically.
It’s a long list, so if you have a category in mind, choose from the menu on the right side of the screen (toward the bottom of the page on mobile).
Don’t forget, if you know what resource you are looking for, you can search for it in the search box at the top of the screen (in the Menu on mobile) to jump right to it.
Go right to your library account in the Encore library catalog to place holds, renew items, and pay fines.
Pack these apps, and you’ll have media for your entire vacation!
Get these free apps, then log in with your Avon Library card and select what you want to borrow.
For help with these products, click here.