Did you know that your Avon Library card entitles you to free online access to some of the most popular newspapers and news sources, including the Washington Post and the New York Times? Simply visit our online newspapers and exercise your freedom to know!
The hurricanes may have come and gone, but the relief and clean up efforts continue.
There has been a lot of weather-related news lately, and it can be tough to keep tabs. Here are some resources:
Stay Up to Date
Recent hurricane news from newspapers across the country: NewsBank: Access with your Avon library card
Support relief organizations
- NBC Connecticut: How to Help Victims of Hurricane Maria, Sept. 20
- CBS Connecticut: Hartford Fundraiser Planned To Assist Storm-Damaged Puerto Rico, Sept 21, 2017
- NY Times: How to Help Puerto Rico and Other Islands after Hurricane Maria, Sept. 22, 2017
Learn about the science of hurricanes
- National Hurricane Center
- For Kids: Hurricanes! — Downloadable Video | 2016: Access with your Avon Library card through Hoopla
- For Kids: Extreme weather / [by] Ann O. Squire — Digital Media | 2015: Access with your Avon Library card through ScienceFlix
Get prepared for natural disasters
Co-sponsored by the Avon Library and Avon Senior Center, this series of five programs explores the themes of Norman Rockwell’s “Four Freedoms” paintings. Join us we welcome the Norman Rockwell Museum to kick off the series, and then invite our favorite professors to lecture and discuss each of the freedoms individually. Attend one, or all of these events. Look for a bus trip to the Norman Rockwell Museum in late winter to conclude this series!
All ages welcome. Sponsored by the Avon Taxpayer’s Association and the Mitnick Trust.